Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Quarterly Staff Meeting Notes...

Yesterday night we had our Quarterly Staff Meeting and it was Incredible. I think it was so incredible because so much was directed to me and my personal life. The key word I remember is DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE. I am one with very little discipline. I had to write down my notes and share with anyone who reads this and for my children's ministry team.

Hebrews 12:1-13
* Two things verse 1 tells us to get rid of: Sin and the things that hinder us.
* God initiates the vision and perfects it. v. 2
* How does He do that? Discipline (endurance)
* The greatest enemy to ministry is: DISCOURAGEMENT
* How do we/I/you keep going when others quit? Discipline
* Discipline is the battle of the skin.
* My skin Always pulls the opposite direction of my destiny. (the Destiny God has created for me)

There are 4 types of discipline: (This was great)
1. Self: 1 Corinthians 11:31-32
We can discipline ourselves. "I will not eat that cheesecake."
2. Authority: Proverbs 13:24
People above us discipline us- like our parents, boss, etc.
3. God's: 1 Corinthians 11:32
God disciplines. He disciplines those He loves.
4. Consequential: Proverbs 5:11-13
Consequences can discipline us. The last resort. Not a fun one.
* If we can't discipline ourselves, the authority steps in and can discipline us. If that doesn't work, God steps in and disciplines us. If we still don't obey and improve, then sadly the consequences of our lack of discipline step in. (sickness, depression, death, etc.)

Discipline Truths:

* When you are weak, something will be strong. Let God be strong in those moments because you are disciplined. Don't let emotions, negativity, anger, etc. be strong in moments of weakness.
* Discipline bleeds. Read more here: Potential Blog
* Discipline is not like riding a bike, more like building a muscle.
* Discipline is never fun, the results always are. (True that)
* Discipline is initiated by VISION
- If you don't know why you are doing what you are doing, then it won't last. Christ endured the cross because he saw the joy of redemption ahead of Him. He saw us who would accept and believe and be saved. How beautiful!!!
* Discipline is fueled by progress
* Discipline is passed on by success

The Discipline of ETHOS demands:
1. DIVERSITY: We have to discipline ourselves to listen (to those different from me) and to engage (get to know & love them).
2. COLLABORATION: Discipline to be authentic (open about our fears & failures) and to be truth tellers.
3. POTENTIAL: Discipline to growth (mental, spiritual, emotional, physical)
4. MOVEMENT: Discipline ourselves to evaluation and make a hard decision.
5. ENVIRONMENT: Discipline to prepare and not to settle and make excuses.
6. THINKING: Discipline to ask questions and not to accept the answers.

I left thinking and encouraged. I left knowing that I have to improve on three of the above Ethos and work on the weakest ones. (Which would probably be all of them) But Discipline- the Christian walk should just be defined that. I hope you guys got something out of this and I encourage you to search where you need discipline and start taking One day at a time. I know I will. Pray for me.

3 comments:

Heather Palacios said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Palacios said...

Gosh I hate it when I screw up my comment. OK, do-over: Thanks for the recap. It was good to hear it last night & to hear it here, today.

SILVIA A. said...

Buenisimo......lq vida es una disciplina.

Thank you for sharing....
Mami